The always inspiring Whitney from Dare to Dream tagged me to list 6 quirky things about myself. These may be more random than quirky.
1. When I stand around the house barefoot, I usually stand on the outside edges of my feet and/or with my toes up in the air and the boy likes to point this out whenever he sees me doing it. I suspect that this odd stance all started during my first year of college when I lived in the dirtiest loft in the residence hall and needed to have as little of my feet touching the ground as possible. Icky.
2. Unfortunately this next one has to do with feet too. Actually shoes. I hate wearing them. I like buying them but don’t like having my feet constricted all day. Even socks bother me. And I don’t like shoes in the house. If I had my way we’d live like the Japanese and never wear shoes in the house. Even with doormats so much dirt still gets tracked in and I am constantly washing the mats. Maybe someday I will have a mudroom and I will be able to get the boy on board with "no shoes". A girl can dream, can’t she?
Is this not THE perfect shade of chartruese?? Photo from Martha Stewart.
3. I danced from the time I was about 4 until around 17, mostly ballet, some toe and jazz/modern dance. I slowly gave it up in favor of high school sports which was a huge mistake but there comes a point in a dancer’s life where you realize that you won’t get accepted at Julliard and trying something else might be fun too. But now whenever I watch ballet or dancing, I routinely cry. I am not sure why. It is not really a sad cry. It just moves me. And one of my all-time favorite movies is Save the Last Dance with Julia Stiles. And one of my favorite blogs is The Winger. I also miss legwarmers. Do you think they’ll ever be in style again?(I think this one technically has to do with feet too. Scary.)
4. I have a much easier time helping people with their homes than I do with my own. I am not sure if that is normal for anyone in any situation but Whitney’s post reminded me of that. I can do anything from pick paint colors to design an entire house for someone else and at a point in the process feel confident in what I produce, but take a ridiculously long time in deciding what color our bedroom should be. I am sure I have mentioned this before, but it is all too clear to me now that we live in a house stuck in the 80’s in dire need of a whole-house cosmetic renovation.
5. When I got married I technically dropped my middle name and made my maiden name my middle name. And it wasn’t until a couple of years later that the boy told me he wasn’t too keen about it. Men.
6. I love scrapple which the boy calls Lips and ***holes. If you don’t know what scrapple is click here. It is best cooked under the broiler.
7. My favorite place that I have been so far on planet earth is Prague. I can’t wait to go back someday.
photo by flickr member Rita Crane